Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Timeless Letter

Dear Sarah,

Hey princess! I thought of you today, and how much God has in store for you in the next few years to come! Yes, keep trusting that Still Small Voice that you always hear, telling you that you’re destined for greatness, because you are! And besides, He’s always right.

I know certain things may not seem perfect for you at the moment, and that you have many dreams, desires, and ambitions on your heart that most people don’t understand. I know it hurts when certain things happen that you can’t tell anyone, and when your friends don’t live up to your expectations, and even worst when you slowly realize that your closest are choosing a path so different from yours. I know the loneliness you feel, and I know how frustrating it is to be stereotyped and misunderstood. It was me back then remember?

But I want to tell you that everything is in God’s hands, and that He allows things to happen not just for a bigger reason (I’m glad you understand that already), but also to mold and make you more like Him. (He is doing the same with others as well, so cut them some slack. Including your parents.) Take these challenges not just as battles to be won as I know you often do, but as experiences to just learn from and live through. Learn to let go of the things you cannot change, and leave it to God to handle it because it would save you a lot of the frustration I went through myself. BE THANKFUL for the tough life-lessons He is putting you through, it means you’re chosen and in preparation for something bigger to come. It’s an honor to be disciplined by the King of Kings. That’s how worth it you are to Him. I’m still telling myself that even now.

Love people for who they are. Don’t judge, and don’t expect people to be just like you. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same. Everyone has a part to play in this teamwork of life, and you won’t get far without the others anyway. Learn to appreciate them for who they are, see past their flaws, and love the great things they have to offer. Be teachable. Don’t think you know better than everyone else no matter how logical your suggestions seem to be, or how different your upbringing was - because the sooner you realize and accept your flaws (there’s a good deal of that), the faster it will be to move on in life and then only can God fully utilize you for His kingdom. If I wasn’t so stubborn, I wouldn’t have taken this long to discover the beauty of that.

You are a bright and capable young lady. Never let the achievements of others be the yardstick for your life. It bears no fruit. Instead, focus on the race track which God has set before you to run. Everyone has been given their own racetrack. Just thank Him for providing others to run alongside you. Also, I know how stubborn and hard-headed you can be, I know that certain things have happened to make you believe in complete independence. But don’t let that rule your life. God has created us to be dependant beings – on each other, and ultimately on Him. No woman is an island (and yes, you WILL want to get married someday no matter how icky that idea seems to you now. Trust me on this one. I KNOW! Haha).

Be patient. Let things take time to form naturally. This includes other people AND yourself too.

You are loud, talkative, sensitive, easily amused, expressive, easily trusting, ambitious, deeply thoughtful, very relational, strong-willed, and so much more. Sometimes it backfires on you when you get so easily distracted, and when you choose to voice your opinions and get into trouble for it, and other things. But don’t ever EVER change the way you are or conform the rest of the world (No matter what people tell you also. People will ALWAYS talk, and you cannot allow their comments to shape who you are and how you live your life. You’re not living for them) Instead, ask God, “Lord, I know you created me this way and that you have given me certain passions.. I thank You for making me wonderfully made in You. Now teach me just how to use these passions effectively for your glory. Show me what I’m supposed to do with these thoughts and feelings.”

Remember that you’re living for a marvelous God, and that means living to please Him and no one else. I wasted so many years trying to please others just to gain acceptance, not realizing that the ultimate acceptance comes from God alone, till now. He made you, He loves you UNCONDITIONALLY… Nothing and no one can separate you from His love. Just imagine that. And when you finally understand that love (actually, I still cannot understand it even now… but I have come to KNOW it by heart) you’ll find you’ll be able to love others just the same, and forgiving and accepting others and working with people and oh.. so many things will just come naturally and fall into place.

Don’t be in a rush to grow up. Mom was right whenever she said, “I’ll explain when you’re older” because the best thing you can give a child (besides love) is innocence. Don’t rush into destroying that no matter how “knowledgeable and exposed” your friends are. There’s no need to feel left out. We all grow up according to the same clock anyway so why the hurry? You will know and understand things when the time is right. Treasure your childhood/ teenage hood while you still have it – every clumsy moment, every foolish decision (meaning, don’t beat yourself up about it so much lah), the people who are in your life now (coz you’ll never know when that season will end), and even your siblings… no matter how bratty they are. They’ll grow up one day and then you’ll regret not being around to watch them grow and play with them enough. It’s okay to be wrong sometimes, it’s okay not to know everything, its okay not to have all the answers, its okay to be dependant, its okay to make mistakes, and it’s really okay to cry… really it is.

One more thing. When it comes to matters of the heart… take it from God when He says, “Guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life.” You only have one heart to live with and give. And if that heart isn’t in the right place or complete in Him, you’ll have less of life to give to others. Less of joy, less of purity, less of a whole lot of things that people can be blessed by. Don’t test the limits; don’t bring your pride into this. You may think you have a formula to everything – even mending a broken heart. But you don’t. (You’re NOT God!) And it isn’t worth the risk. Don’t be proud and selfish. Your actions affect others too. And that, really isn’t worth the risk.

I could talk and talk some more (that’s one thing that won’t really change about you. Heh.) but I think the best thing would be to leave you to just live this great life that He’s given you. To experience things for yourself and then you’ll know what I mean. There’s so much in store for you! Hopefully though, you’ll be a little more careful after reading this timeless letter. Always know that no matter what, there’s a God who’s watching over you and He’s taking the best care of you. There is never a prayer that He will not answer, even the biggest most impossible-looking thing that’s on your heart right now. Yup… be surprised! And never lose that child-like awe of your Creator.

Enjoy discovering God and life, and live passionately!

Love,

The Future You.


The Think Tank Mag did this "Writing to the Past You" for their issue this month. I was asked to write as well, but I just couldn't somehow. Only after I read the letters from others, could I begin to express myself throughly - knowing that its okay to be honest with yourself and others. You never know who may benefit from what you have to share. I did from theirs. So here is mine. =)

1 comment:

suling said...

Sarah, this is such an inspiring post really. I wanted to email you but then i went blog hopping and now I'm a bit malas so i'll just tell you here =)

It's so refreshing to read posts like these once in a while. It's as though God's speaking to me through friends in the most unexpected of places. This post was a real joy to read.

Keep them comin! And you cut your hairr!! Hopefully I'll get to ruffle it tmr if i'm going for the rally. =)