It's almost done!!! Yay!!!
We brought furniture in a month back. Got it all free! Praise God!
This is the main hall. Ain't it nice? =) I LOVE this shade of green. Got the foresty idea from Allison of course. We let Kumbi handle the tree herself. So its her baby. =) Love the cheerful green leaves! Need to add curtains here too. What color you reckon? I'm thinking either dark brown or a good shade of matching green. Anything else would be gross.
Now all this place needs are a bunch of little children and their books. =)
Okay so let me explain. This is the small apartment we've rented to start a community project in USJ 1. There are at least 50 kids aged 7-12 in that area who don't have the money for an education. So we'll be running English (and Math, I think) classes in this place every Saturday for them. It's called the Fireflies Project because although these kids come from not-so-well backgrounds, they're bright children who deserve the chance of an education! Like fireflies! (Okay, fireflies don't need education. I didn't mean that last part literally.)
So (Y.B.) Hannah Yeoh gave this project to Jochebed, who gathered a team of teachers and gave the refurbishment responsibility to me, and I had a ball with doing up the place lah! With A LOT of help from everyone of course. Couldn't have done it without them so THANK YOU TEAM!!!! It was heaps fun working with you guys!
I got to design it and choose the colors and get the furniture and buy everything and oh it was fun! (Except the to-ing and fro-ing of transporting the furniture in the van. I'm tired of driving that green machine. Anyone care to be driver?) It's the biggest "deco/ design-related" project I've worked on so far and most exciting coz it was totally my responsibility to make sure it was carried out!
I think responsibility is good la. It trains you to be a better dependable person each time. =) Good lesson for me. I was especially excited about this coz I think this is my first time being totally actively involved in a community project in M'sia. I'm really heaps so thankful for this opportunity to reach out to the needy people in my "backyard" so to speak. Like wow. This is the real thing! The commitment and teamwork and everything. Not a one-off mission trip like before.
I should show you guys the pictures of the place BEFORE. It was just disgustingly dodgy with the ugliest combination of paint colors for the walls and ceiling. Ugh. I don't have them though. So anyways... right now we're just waiting for a few more approvals to be signed and all that paper work settled before we get this project rolling. We've discussed the teaching plan and the materials we'll be using (I'm not in charge of all that so a bit blur still) and I'm so excited!!!
Can't wait to meet and get to know the kids! Oh.. and teach them too of course. Hehe.

4 comments:
That sounds just, oh, I can't believe you. I'm so jealous. But really, love the design and the whole idea of teaching kids. AHhhh!!! I don't know how to express what I feel.
wow! wat a lovely thing u have the opportunity and get to do and also wanting to do. May Giod bless your sweet heart!
haha my "sweet" heart? lol you're funny. yeah it IS a wonderful privilege. Thanks Tim! =)
oh sarah!!! I'm so excited for you! so excited.. i feel like tap dancing right here. *office can be such a bore*
Post a Comment