Sunday, October 26, 2008

MPH Booksaaaaaaaalllee!!!!!


Oh I just LOVE the sight of this...


Lookit whatson ma beAAyooootifuulll bookshelf now!

Yeah baby! We got the WHOLE Vampire series by Stephenie Meyer for only RM 73!!!
RM23 for Twilight.
RM 10 for Eclipse.
RM 20 each for New Moon and Breaking Dawn because Sin Yee sold it to us second-hand.
Gosh. We actually OWN all four books! A dream come true! Zoe and I couldn't stop staring at them in awe. (It would cost at least RM 200 for the whole set normally)

My happy booklets!!!!! They were selling the whole set lah! Heaps of Mr. and Miss.'s... I went crazy! But they're RM6 each and "Sikit sikit jadi bukit" so had to control a bit lah. =S Chose the ones that I relate to best. Haha. (Okay fine. Except the Tiny one. You happy?)

Oops. Ok just tilt your head to view. My childhood favs! I think Dr. Seuss is the wackiest genius in the world! Like my brother says about Phil Vischer (the creator of Veggie Tales), "He must be the happiest man in the world!" haha... and I found my Berenstain Bears!!! Oh So Happy!!!!

Unfortunately though, when you grow up you often find that the creators behind great stories are usually suffering from great depression or are screwed up in one way or another. Another thing about growing up... I used to LOVE The Adventures of Tin Tin... I tried reading those comics again last night and I found I couldn't enjoy it the way I did before. It was so annoying! I couldn't help noticing how unrealistic it was that such untrained people were even allowed on a space rocket much less a pair of blur detectives end up on the moon by chance and the storyline was just weak. Then I tried to free my mind from all realism and just read it like the naive 7-year-old me would... but I just couldn't!This sucks lah. I hate this part of growing up. I also can't believe I half regret knowing that Tin Tin was NOT the first man on the moon coz it makes me realize I don't get to ask, "Dad? Is it true? Was the first man on the moon named Tin Tin too?" Crap. I miss my childhood so badly.

Anywaysss... we bought a whole load of books lah. (Collectively - Sam, Zoe, and myself. Can you guess which ones belong to each of us?) Books are such treasures really. Not books la... stories. But I'm also a sucker for great cover-designs. Heh. Most of these books I've read before and deem worthy of my own purchase as they're written by excellent authors. And the rest, I'll add to the list of books to devour next week. As if I haven't got enough already. I have this BAD habit of reading like 5 books at a time. I get too excited to wait to finish one before I start on the next. So every story comes in parts. Heh.

I think I'm starting a collection la. I want to be rich and build a beautiful cosy library in my home where these books can live. I want to collect good fairytales.and children's stories. Hard cover ones, well-bound and beautifully illustrated, unabridged if possible. It will be my treasure trove! Its better than collecting China tea cups to place idlily behind a glass display. (Yes I am aware I'm becoming just like my mother) And I will add them in my will as my dying gift to my grandchildren. Eh cost a lot wan you know! *Thinking of the huge leather bound set of classics sitting in Jody's father's study room. Oh Lord forgive me for I covet.*

I shall visit the MPH booksale again on Monday to add "The Shack" to my bookshelf. It's getting very intruiging and I'm sure Darren Ash would want his copy back. Hmm.. time to update my virtual bookshelf on FB too!



Coming soon: "Why I Prefer Andersen Over Grimms" and "Who Needs Magic When You Have Miracles?"

3 comments:

Alison said...

i have the Lil Miss Sunshine booky!!!! Where is this sale!!!!!!!!!??? hahaha

Isaac Ravi said...

are you serious?? I LOVE TINTIN! ahha.. I should go read it again one of these days,see if I can still connect with it..ahha

realhumangirl said...

wow! my kind of post. i'm missing booksales. but oh well, there are secondhand bookstores everywhere here but it's not the same. i like getting my books new. my own. unadulterated, especially the stories that i love.

i know what you mean. i re-read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And i didn't like it as much as i used to. that's the thing. really good stories stay really good stories. like Little Lord Fauntleroy. I still like that.

And all the other "children/young adult stories" that I've read recently and love. Coraline. King of Shadows. Even the picture books Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book and The Dangerous Alphabet.

and i'm purposely misquoting oscar wilde here. stories are either well-told, or badly told. that is all.