Wednesday, August 27, 2008

To-day.

I thought of Pleasantville the movie.

How old-fashioned people like to keep things the way it has always been - black, white, and conservative. Can you imagine if the characters in the movie hadn't discovered PASSION, COLOR, and LIFE half way through? Can you imagine if they decided not to change with the winds of change and stick to the way things were always expected to be? Can you imagine if we, in the real world of today, conformed to the fixated, petty, and completely religious mindsets of the old-fashioned?

I wouldn't really call that living.

School uniforms. Hair pins restricted to specific dull colors. Hair STYLES prohibited. Essential accessories scrutinized (spectacle frame-style). No colored undergarments even if you're double-layered. Look the same. Think the same. Be the same. Be boring. Be conservative. Be everything you're not. Be everything less. Be unnoticed. Don't express. Whatever. I'd feel pissed every time my siblings came home with such reports of that potentially-communist-institution they're obliged to every weekday.

Strangely, I feel the tradition seeping into MY weekends as well. And so it begins.

4 comments:

joni lynne said...

and so it begins.

Sarah Joy said...

i believe there is a place where there is a need for conformity.. forgive the old-fashioned mindset.. sometimes its purely for the sake of safety.

Sarah Lim said...

i believe there are limits to that as well. we'll see la i guess. like i said, so it begins.

Sarah Joy said...

yeah... so it has begun! ;D