Thursday, November 27, 2008

I CAN Dream Big, Because I Have a BIG God!


I was at The Hailer's 4th issue post mortem last night. It was held at Crystal's homey house this time. She cooked a splendid dinner for all of us. I tell you, that woman could make anyone do whatever she wants by cooking for them if she wanted to. It's that good.


For those of you who don't know already, The Hailer is a magazine run by the students of Life College. It is published twice in a year (for now) and sponsored by various companies per issue. All efforts - writing and finding sponsorship are done by the students who make up the Editorial. So far, this magazine has existed for just almost two years. But look at how far God has brought us in just such a short time!


This was the first issue: July 2007
Editor-in-Chief: Adriel Wong
16 pages/ black and white



The Second Issue: November 2007
Editor-in-Chief: Sarah Lim
16 pages/ fully colored



The Third Issue: July 2008
Editor-in-Chief: Elizabeth Foo
28 pages/ fully colored



And finally, coming VERY soon...

The FOURTH Issue!
Editor-in-Chief: Crystal Cha
Special Edition/ fully colored



When we first started this magazine, it was for a rather last-minute assignment project that my batch of Journalism students had to do. We roped in a few of our juniors, namely Crys, Chev, Sze Keong, Shua, and Liz to help out. ( I think they weren't even in my class. Can't remember.)


Around the same time, my college staff were bugging either Sam or I to start a magazine for the college. It was something I knew I wanted to do but due to bad experiences in the past, I declined at first. It was only till this assignment came about that we had no choice but to publish it anyway. During that time I realized that I wouldn't have many more years in Life College, and no matter how risky it was to try something new again, I knew I wanted to leave my college with a legacy more than anything else. My two and a half years in Life College was not to be in vain.


My college was quite new you see, and we hadn't got any real clubs or society's that succesfully availed themselves for interested students. I realized that there were quite a few students in the college who really had a passion for writing like I did (if not more). Such gifts should never be wasted and so I wanted to create a means for them to impact their generation through writing. After the first issue was out, it was time to decide if we would continue with this great big risky but exciting thing. I was to be the next Editor-in-Chief.


I remember Shua and the others telling me that we can make this happen even though our numbers are few and finance is zero, and that I wasn't in this alone because they too shared the same passion as I. And sure enough, I really wasn't alone... throughout the many major ups and downs of getting sponsors and learning to work with each other - by God's grace lah... the second issue was published! 500 copies! Praise God! I was crazy happy.



Through that experience, I realized that The Hailer was more than just a tool of communication. It was in fact most importantly a place where students would be trained up for the working world like no other practical assignment based project in class would. Just being part of a team trains us up to work with different people, handle the challenge of catering to the real world's needs (not your lecturer's and your marks), thinking about the big picture of things, and learning to plan ahead and strategize all in a given time limit. And doing ALL of this not for money, not for good grades, but simply because of PASSION. It was VERY character building.


And so began (I feel) the real driving force and purpose of The Hailer. Jesus teaches us to hold on to things of eternal value and to value things that money cannot buy. Sowing into the lives of other people and giving them a chance to experience the best in life for their own personal growth is truly one of the greatest reasons a person could live for.


This journey was far from easy. And I recall the many times I just wanted to give up. I'm a very irratable, impatient, and emotional person and having to work with people who didn't do things my way was a really tough challenge. As one of the pioneers, the editor, and then the student advisor of this magazine - I too learnt numerous amounts of life lessons from the experiences of publishing each issue. It was a humbling journey.


But I today I look back at where we came from, and how far we've come to where we (they) are now... and I can confidentely BEYOND confidently say that I have NO regrets to everything that took place be it good or bad because its not just me who has grown from this experience, but so have many others as well.


The team has expanded. Some have left, most have stayed on, and more have joined. I don't know the newer members personally but I already feel so excited to have them join the team. It's like watching a family grow. And really, that's what The Hailers are/ were to me - like family.


At the post-mortem last night, they were discussing future plans for this magazine to be registered as an actual magazine in Malaysia so that we may distribute it legally all over the country and even to other countries in the future! I never imagined such a thing would be made possible!


Truly, God is amazing la. What started out as a little desire that needed a little step of faith, lots of prayer and support... has now become something beyond my wildest dreams! When you trust God with your whole heart and commit your situations to Him... He doesn't just bless you once, but He blesses you in double portion and more!


To The Hailers who have walked this journey with me and then continued to carry the baton with even more passion after I left... I cannot thank you enough for your faithfulness and dedication to this magazine and to the people in this magazine.



Shua,
This magazine wouldn't be possible without you because although you didn't hold a great title back then, you certainly were one of the main people who not only encouraged me during our pioneering days, but also the rest of the team. You believed in this magazine through thick and thin and refused to let circumstances get in our way. Thank you for being my listening ear and for not judging me even when my flaws were so obvious) Seeing you still ever so active and always delivering such amazing pieces of writing in the Editorial and now finally being one of the editors yourself just totally makes me so happy. You're the man lah Shua!

Liz,
Though your time as student advisor for the recent issue was divided due to other commitments, I want you to know that you have played such an important role in this magazine. The success of The Hailer is not really about whether the magazine is great or not, or how many meetings had full attendance or not, or anything like that. Its about seeing the long-term of things and carrying the vision, its about giving your very best so that others may benefit from your example. And everyone will agree that you did an excellent job as the previous Editor-in-Chief, far beyond what I could ever achieve! (Seriously babe, I have NO eye for detail and I'm too impatient to bother and thats the one thing that always gets me in trouble. But its a quality you have which I fully admire and half envy. Haha) Whether you realize it or not, your support even as my assistant back in 2007 and more importantly as a friend contributes to the current Hailer Editorial that our juniors (those I don't even know) are able to own now. =) You're a history maker babe!


Crys,
I'm ever so thankful that you've been a part of The Hailer for a few practical wonders such as your remarkable gift with words and your really cool designing skills (which I'm both in awe of because I've always been a fan of your writings, and I know zilch about techy designing multimedia blablablas). But that aside, I have to thank you most for being one of my greatest forms of encouragement just by being who you are. I don't recall ever confiding in you or you ever layanning my bad mood days, but even throughout my days in The Hailer, I've learnt so much by observing how you deal with situations in a most professional and mature manner regardless of how daunting the odds are against you. Gentle strength is what I'd call it. That's what you have. (and that's probably more of what this impulsive miss Sarah needs as well. haha)

And as for this coming issue... I'll say it again, you've totally blown us away! I honestly had forgotten our age difference until it was mentioned last night and really girl, people like you show the world that age is seriously Just A Number. You've done an excellent job at being BOTH the Editor-in-Chief and the designer, and even just at managing people and bringing out the best in them. Thanks for making The Hailer what it is today.


Chev!!!
I am SO SO SO SO SOOOOOO super excited and happy for you that you're now the next Editor-in-Chief! I have been waiting for this day for so long and I'm so glad that the ball is finally in your hands. I've seen so much potential in you girl! You've been with The Hailer since its beginning and have seen the ins and outs and ups and downs of how it works. Your current members and assistants are one of the best anyone could ever ask for. You've grown so much since day one in the editorial - from a little junior (not that I ever saw you as one actually.. Miss Dance Pro!) to now one of the great seniors of Life College and the Editor-in-Chief of the BEST student project that ever existed! You have nothing to lose. Although each issue comes with its new challenges and difficulties, never let them intimidate you from pressing on to achieve your goal. Remember that this magazine isn't just about the issue you're in charge of, but its about the issues before and the issues to come. In saying "issue" I mean the people who are affiliated with it too. That's influential power in your hands right there. Make the most of it ;) Never EVER compare yourself to previous editors, only learn from their mistakes and triumphs, and don't be afraid to try new things. The future of this magazine will go far when you're leading it as yourself. We have full confidence in you. =)



Ok la.. this has been the LONGEST blogpost ever done in history I bet. Before I end, I just have one more Person to give full credit to...


Dear God,

You are simply amazing. I cannot thank You enough for loving me
and believing in me this much in spite of my flaws. I thank You for providing for my every need, I thank You for the desires and passions which You have placed in my heart,
I
thank You for fulfilling the promises You've given, I thank You that I'm never alone because You have given me the greatest friends anyone could ever ask for, and even when they're not there, I know that everything is alright because You still are. You will never leave me nor forsake me, You love me too much to leave me hanging.

The success of this magazine has caused me to realize more than ever that it was never about me and it has nothing to do with me or the Editorial... but instead it was all in Your great plan that You carefully lovingly weaved together just to show us how great You are. And You know what God? You are truly great! Greater than the toughest trials, greater than the highest mountains, greater than the most impossible situations. You're the God of the impossible and I'm SO glad that You're God and that I'm not.


I know that you hold my world in Your hands and that You have a plan and purpose for my life and the lives of each of my friends. What You have put together, no man can separate. And only You can take away what You have given because it is Yours.
And with that, I say... have Your way in us.

Thank You heaps!
I love You Lord!

love,
Sarah




Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,

-Ephesians 3:20-

3 comments:

crystalcha28 said...

awesome post!! :) thanks so much for all the encouragement again sarah.. :) and for having the vision for what The Hailer could be and is now becoming already! :)

awesome portraiture as well - you captured everyone's expressions so perfectly! haha... shua looks really good in the shot of him alone... then the one with him and hajok is like complete diffference! lol...

and yeah... i'm looking forward to what future issues will bring!! :)

gaL said...

WAH SAWAH ... uber nice wan your post!!! i like the colours and i feel like crying looking back at all the magazines been through and how much it has changed..

i like the pictures and i like the magazines and working with you a whole lot..

P/S: i was in the first issue too *pouts*

hehe anyhoo .. big big huggs!!

lizzylemon said...

Thanks for being the encouragement that you always are. You've been greatly supportive throughout this entire Hailer journey. I admire how you've always entrusted The Hailer into God's hands each and every time. Your passion for this editorial team is something I truly look up to, Sarah.

You are truly a gem uncalled for! :)