Thursday, December 11, 2008

Tuesday's Lessons.


Sometimes I think I'm no different from a 5-year old kid. (I'm not referring to size here okay!)
  • I still get upset when things don't go my way.
  • I'm still scared to venture into different/ new things alone.
  • I still "cry" when I feel lonely and when I think people are laughing at me.
  • I can't really bring myself to do things that I don't feel like doing.
  • I miss my family easily. (It was never the case as a teenager tho. Wonder what changed?)
  • I procrastinate the difficult things on my to-do-list for the longest time.
  • I'm easily cheered-up with little thrills like kite-flying, homemade picnic lunches, friends, and pretty things.
  • And my whole day consists of either hyper activeness or extreme exhaustion as and when.

So growing up scares me.
  • The idea of venturing into the world of ministry in the mission field for real scares me.
  • To handle a class of foreign-speaking children alone...
  • To stay for more than a day in a foreign country without the company of my usual group of friends and leaders...
  • To work with people whom I've never met before or who are from a different background as I am from, who have been brought up very differently from how I've been, who have different value systems and habits...
When I think of all these things, I feel like running back to my little shell of comfort: Studying in Australia and experiencing the luxurious life of a student there. Staying here and getting a media-related job and earning lots of money. Going to a well-established church every Sunday and working with people who know and understand me. Living with my family. And of course, having all my close friends just a phone call or short drive away. The easy life.

But I know I was meant for more. And I want it. And in order to get it, I have to grow. And in order to grow, I have to take the first step and just persevere through the things I'm so afraid of, the things I'm not comfortable with. I have to get out of my comfort zone, face my fears, and REALLY literally live up to my "Send me, I will go Lord!" prayer. I know it'll be so worth it. And that's the only thing that keeps me from running away any longer.

And so tomorrow,

I'm growing up.

3 comments:

Justin Low said...

Ahha... if I "cry" when I think people are laughing at me, I dun think I will have the chance to meet "smile" ever...

Isaac Ravi said...

tomorrow?why not grow up today?haha..
SARAH!!!

Sarah Lim said...

because tmr (which is now today) was my first time going for a mission trip with strangers and nto even being a part of the planning or ANY briefing.

it was an interesting experience i'll tell ya. haha