I've just started teaching English at a Korean center in Sri Hartamas this week. It's been my second lesson with Julia so far and things are going pretty alright. Julia is an enthusiastic 12-year old who speaks English pretty well for a Korean girl her age and happens to love skiing. - A random piece of info which I found out during one of the word games we played this morning. =) I'm supposed to teach her conversational English since she already has grammar and writing classes with another teacher.
Today I taught her the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none". I used myself as an example to describe its meaning. (eg. I can play the piano, write, dance, rock climb, kick a ball - however none of which I'm particularly excellent at.) My inquisitive and eager to learn student immediately looked at me and asked, "What about English?" Kantoi sial. Haha.
I figured I may not be Miss Perfect when it comes to the English language, but year 2008 and onwards is all about trying new things! Its only been two days so far and through this new challenge I have come to realize many things about myself and what it takes to be a good teacher. It's an exciting (yet partially daunting) learning experience for me as well.
I want to see her speak English more fluently by the time our last class together is over. And I plan to become a better teacher by then as well. All in due time la I guess.
And now, I should sleep.
Class is at 8:00 am tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment