Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Continuation...

Confession:

*try-hard British accent*
I have always felt a deep sense of pride whenever I converse in the English language. It is my first language and the only one I can speak fluently in anyway. It feel great to share this common bond with the high-rolling people of class A societies in most countries. I do feel quite a disdainful sort of pity for those who just can't enjoy the literature of this language as much as I can. Oh those poor lost souls....


Until I had a taste of my own medicine!!!! *now back to normal Malaysian accent. haha*

The bookstores in Hatyai were COMPLETELY in Thai!!!! I felt amazingly stupid. Every novel I could recognize was only because of its similar cover to the English version I already owned. Oh and guess what, the only books in English that were there, were the Thai-English DICTIONARIES!!! Hahaha. My secret sense of self-pride was shot to pieces in an instant as I took the shoes of a foreigner in a strange land for once. (I mean, what else to expect right? Its Thailand for heaven's sake! But just let me talk and act like an overly excited tourist will you?)

Heh heh heh.

So we had more classes with Danny. The tentmaking guy. Hahaha. And no, we didn't learn how to make tents literally. This man is a legend la! He's lived for umpteen years and spend his entire life (no kidding) being devoted to the mission field. He sent the FIRST Phillippino missionaries out to various parts of China! (Don't ask me what year la, I probably wasn't even a zygote back then) How cool is that? A walking history icon. Real nice chap.


Here's just an exercise we did during one of our CHE classes (Community Health and Education). We're given these little men-shaped paper pieces with various names of diseases written on them. The picture of the houses we're matching them to, represent Prevention from Home, Medicine in Clinic, Surgery in Hospital. And yes, we found it makes more sense to give health education from the home rather than focus on just funding the cost of the cure at the hospital which costs way more and can only save a handful.

And that means... I don't have to be a medical student to save lives babyy!!!! *superman stance*


So moving on...
Some scenes around town.
(that's proof of the DSLR for you Adeline Oh! *wink*)





This is Rob.


He's from the US, our CHE facilitator, the host of this yummilicious house dinner..



... and the father of SEVEN kids of all kinds of races and ethnic backgrounds!



I kid you not. He walks the talk man! Their house is the coolest I've ever seen. Made of two shoplots joined together, four storeys high - enough room for all kids to have their own space and be treated with equal respect as opposed to how some of the adopted ones were treated like back in their abusive street homes.



Here's the view from the top of the roof. They sometimes have picnics or camp outs up here to star-gaze as a family. How neat!


Jojo and Cynthia celebrated their 2nd year anniversary while with us as well. Happily married couples on the mission field give me the jumpets! (Little excited jumps of joy)



Judahhhhh!!!!!!


Yeah this is their version of the kiddy ride we've seen at Genting back in Malaysia. 'Cept the only thing run by electricity are the florescent light bulbs! The lightweight metal cars are just hanging there and the whole thing swivels by a small fan attached to the edge of the roof when wind rushes through it. Eeeeeiii!!! Kinda makes you appreciate our rickety-rusty Genting Theme Park rides a bit more. Ha ha.



More scenes at the night market... they're big on night markets btw.






I ate "Khao Phat Koong" for a whole week! (however you spell that, its supposed to mean prawn fried rice) So green curry rice was a good change for the last day there.

In every group, there's always a joker... who never minds being the joke sometimes. Haha.



Finally... homeward bound! I wasn't homesick although I was excited to be back at my awesome CITY CHURCH the next day! but I dreaded the bus ride back to KL .. until I realized
IT WAS A DOUBLE DECKER BUS!!!!!

Woohooo!!!!!! *happy happy*



and then... it was GREAT to be home. =)






So actually if you're reading this now, I've been back for more than a week already. This post is suuuuper outdated but who cares. My pics make it worth the blogging!

I'm back to classes at the missions center/ office at USJ 1 every morning now, and I'm learning lots! But brain capacity needs to expand at the same rate or else it'll sizzle out soon. Also preparing to say another goodbye in three days time...


Don't gooooo!!!!! *sniffle*

No comments: